Friday, November 19, 2010

Gift it...


Recently some Mom friends and I had a joint One Year Birthday Party. I was in charge of favors. This is right up my alley! Yippee! I decided that everyone likes a personalized gift, so why not make monogramed onsies? The funny thing is, I didn't make my own son one! So I don't have a great after picture but you can see generally how they ended up. 

Tutorial:
1. Choose a font that you like and a size that is right for your onsie. In this case I was using 18 month size Carter's Onsies, it's a safe bet that all the 1 year old babes would be able to wear that size at some point. Always error on the side of too big if you are unsure of sizing. I used Baskerville Semibold at 205 size. Print out the first letter in each child's name. 

Baskerville semibold font.
 2. Trace each letter onto your double sided fusible interfacing and mark "g" for girl or "b" for boy. This will help you choose the appropriate fabric for each letter.


3. Iron each letter onto the "wrong" side of your fabric.


 4. Cut out each letter carefully.

Use very sharp scissors.
5. Peel off the paper backing and iron onto onsie. Be sure to center it first.
6. Stitch Each letter onto onsie using a zig zag stitch.
7. Choose coordinating tags and ribbon to finish each favor. (I chose Martha Stewart's "Playground" paper. I found it at a Michael's store.) To make tags, just cut out a rectangle, use a corner punch on the 2 bottom corners, trip the top by cutting each corner on the diagonal. Punch a hole for the ribbon and you're done.

Make sure you make a tag with each child's name on it. 
At the party, I laid them out in neat rows so it would be easy for Moms to read the tags and grab the correct one. Anything to make a gazillion kids in one place any less hectic!

The party was a blast and the Moms enjoyed the favors. It was a lot of work having all those kiddos in one space. I would do it again in a second. They had so much fun!

And this was just some of the babes!
A much deserved cupcake for each Mama and babe!
Have you made any favors lately?

2 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics you chose. It's been a long time since I've made any favors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess all that Scherenschnitte practice came in handy!! Lucky babes and moms!

    ReplyDelete